Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Spiritual Discipline

Ha! Did that catch your attention? My guess is that you're not going to be impressed.

See, I have this theory -- another reason why I need a neurologist on retainer -- that some people are just born "easy-going" and some people aren't. It appears to me that there are people who really don't care if they don't get things their way, or maybe they just don't have a way they prefer. I don't know what it is, because I'm not one of them.

Those of you who know me well know that I'm telling the truth. My theory is, if you have a preference, why wouldn't you prefer to have than to not have it? If you believe something, why wouldn't you think your opinion is right? You wouldn't have an opinion you thought was wrong, now would you?

When I was in college, I took a year off and traveled with the church. We went to the Philippines, Canada and Germany. (Shout out to Oikons!) One of the biggest growing experiences for me on that trip was experiencing people doing things differently -- and having it be just fine. It was very weird for me. But I did notice that it was real. It can be okay to do things differently.

But really, I'm not very good at it. So, one of my new spiritual disciplines happens at work. Every time I use the rest room. Because, as it happens, my secretary is WRONG about the right way to hang the toilet paper on the lovely new toilet paper holder I bought because I was tired of the one that kept falling off the wall. I'm not even sure I should have to mention which way is the right way and which way is the wrong way. Because I'm sure all of my readers know.

But here's the thing. So far, I have managed to keep myself from switching it. I've only ever done it once or twice, maybe. I'm not sure I ever have, but I might be blocking it out.

What's crazy is how hard it is for me to resist. Which is why it has become a spiritual discipline. Breath in -- "Not everything has to be perfect". Breath out -- "You don't really define perfect yourself anyway, honey!" That kind of thing.

So pray for me, my friends. Life is very difficult for those of us who are right all the time! Why couldn't I have gotten those "easy-going" genes?

No comments: