Sunday, January 11, 2009

Seattle seems like a nice enough town...

but I guess there can be crazies anywhere.

Have you heard of this Mark Driscoll guy? He's one of those "Christianity needs to take back its balls because Jesus was a Macho Dude" guys. Only he's also a strict predestinationist. It's pretty creepy. (MML, I need your help here on the interpretations of Calvin; I'm out of my league!)

There is a write-up in today' NYT Magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/magazine/11punk-t.html?pagewanted=1&em

The writer sums it up pretty nicely at the end: "the doctrine of total human depravity has always had a funny way of emboldening, rather than humbling, its adherents."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mars Hill Church is a pretty interesting phenomenon -- it's worth reading about, simply because of their success in getting beyond what Christians 'should' look like, etc. Obviously, Driscoll's theology and dogma bears being wary of, to say the least...