Friday, January 16, 2009

Certain Phrases

So I was in the car today, and upon arriving at my home, I said to myself, "Here we are..."

Which, unfortunately, immediately launched my brain into the beginning of the theme song for "Silver Spoons," which wasn't even good tv. "Face to face, a couple of silver spoons. Hoping to find, we're two of a kind, making a something-something, together, we're gonna something-something..." Fortunately, it doesn't usually last long enough to get into the part where I forget the words.

There are just certain phrases that act like triggers. Here are some of mine. Maybe you can share yours in the comments.

"Thanks for doing that" turns into "Thank you for doing that, Ellen" from the movie Dave. My husband and I use this one all the time, especially when one person has done something the other really didn't want to do.

"It's possible" is followed up by "you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand" from Princess Bride. This is especially unfortunate if something becomes possible at a church meeting.

If someone says something that reassures me, as my brain is deciding what to say, it frequently bypasses "That's great!" and chooses instead, "I'm so glad to hear you say it" which is a bit formal, which makes sense only if you understand that I am channeling Princess Anne from Roman Holiday.

Again from Dave, if someone says "I don't know," I am tempted to respond, "You don't know, or you Can't Say?"

Okay, I thought I had more than that, but no more are coming to mind. So what are yours?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog you have here! Especially liked the Roman Holiday riff. Around our house, when someone becomes too self-concerned, the quickest out is Kevin Kline from French Kiss -- "What can I say, I am an a**h***?" Russ

Lucky Fresh said...

I love that movie! In fact, it's reference earlier in this blog as one of the movies that's more like a place to me than a movie. As Tina Fey would say as Liz Lemon, sometimes "I want to go to there."

There are so many other great quotable lines from Roman Holiday, but most of them don't come up in conversation very often. I rarely have occasion to say, "That will all. Duchess. Thank you." or even, "I trust you will not find it necessary to use that word again, Chancellor. Were I not completely aware of my duty to my family and my country, I would not have returned this evening. Nor indeed ever again."

"So happy, Mr Bradley" is a little easier to work in once in a while!