One could go on and on about the Inauguration this week. Well, some ones could, and have. But I can't. There has just been too much going on in my mind and heart this week. But because it's easier to quibble, I will say this:
Anyone who performs weddings knows that you always have the words in front of you when you're prompting someone to say a vow. That is the whole point, in fact, I think. The president-elect could just memorize the vow himself and say it. But instead, we have a judge say it to him, line by line, prompting. And the whole point of prompting is that you have a copy, so that the person you're prompting doesn't have to memorize or read. You read. So you have the words in front of you.
Likewise, you never, never give someone more than 4 or 5 words (not counting the little ones like "a" or "in" etc.) to say at a time. So, for instance, you should stop after "I, Barack Hussein Obama," before going on.
I'm just saying... Clearly wherever Justice Roberts was a judge before this gig, he didn't perform very many weddings.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
yeah. Duh.
That's interesting, makes sense. Roberts is impressed by his own cleverness and quirkiness, even if it means screwing up the technical aspect of the inauguration. And conservative hacks were whining that our man wasn't properly sworn in. So Roberts swore him in a second time. Now they should claim two swearing-ins cancel each other out. It looks like the "loyal opposition" is going to be as uncooperative as possible. No surprise.
And I'm reminded that the Republicans impeached our prior President, at a time when he had a 66 percent approval rating. That's what we're dealing with.
You called me out! :-) Surely I have not offended, I like this blog and you said you wanted comments. Sorry, meant no disrespect, I guess I'm used to total anonononononimity in blog commenting on the tubes of the internets... but I could be assuaged to disclosure, anticlimactic as it will undoubtedly be...
You didn't offend, Flax; I'm just curious. Remain anonymous if you prefer. Or just send me a fb message and no one else has to know.
I'm glad you like the blog, so you can do whatever you like with it!
Post a Comment