Over at the Rev Gal Blog Pals, the Friday Five is asking for suggestions on how to make it till spring without going crazy. Living in the Heart of Dixie, where it was almost 70 degrees today, I'm not sure I can relate, so I will have to harken back to my Minnesota days and see what I can come up with.
1. Anything involving wrapping up in a blanket makes me feel better when it's cold. It could be a book, a magazine, or a movie, but if a blanket is involved, you will know everything will be okay one day.
2. If you can get a cat to sit on you, you have motivation not to move for a long time, assuming it's not a restless cat who doesn't sit still for very long.
3. I haven't been doing it lately, but knitting is clearly a major occupation for many people trapped indoors. Other forms of creation are also good. Clear off the table, cover it with newsprint and get out the pastels. They make large swaths of bright color quickly. A very efficient and satisfying medium in which it's practically impossible to make a mistake. I've also been hearing about people painting pottery lately.
4. Have a beach party. Just for a night, turn the heat way up, or get a great and powerful space heater and warm up one room enough to wear skimpy beach clothes, drink tropical drinks, and dance to the Beach Boys.
5. Resist the urge to be cheered up and instead come at it from the other direction. Channel your inner, bitter English major and write really bad, melodramatic poetry about how the barren terrain matches the gray coldness of your heart. Then read them out loud with all the pathos of a nineteen-year-old. I dare you not to laugh.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I suggested a beach party too.
:-) And yeah, gotta love the blanket!
I only knit when the weather is cold. Or I'm traveling. I don't know why my knitting needles never freak out the TSA people....but Paul would just remind us that it is not about security, rather it's about "security theater."
The inner bitter English major..yes, I know her! Wuthering Heights all the way....;-)
Post a Comment