Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pet Poetry Contest!

Because it's Sunday, and I'm not feeling clever, I thought I would invite you to be clever instead.

Let's have a poetry contest.

The Rules:

1. The poem must be about a pet. It can be your pet, or someone else's, or an imaginary pet.

2. The poem must be either a limerick or a haiku. Because I have a very short attention span. (Hint: I love rhymes, so limericks are a better way to win!)

3. There is no prize. (I didn't say it was a good contest, now did I?)

Here is my entry:

I live with a cat with no name,
'Cause the one that he'd had was too lame.
He is yellow and fat,
but what's wrong with that?
But he bites, so you can't call him tame!


(As you can see, the standards aren't too high, so go ahead, release your inner English-major in the comments!)

5 comments:

Matthew said...

This is a rap, suggested performers would be Snoop Dogg and the Dogg Pound, naturally. I'm disqualified because it does not obey the strict form of limerick or haiku, but I didn't say it was a good entry, did I?

Racing through the woods
And sniffing all the goods
It's my number one doggy from the brood
In search of food

Serving out the licks and kicks and biting tics
She's fixed, not intermixed
The conflicts she inflicts deep six like Captain Hicks

Anonymous said...

I'm disqualified from the onset, too, because my entry is neither a limerick or haiku. (I think what this says is that the readers of your blogs don't like rules...) This poem has been a part of our magnetic refrigerator poetry for several years.

our cat
frisky
crazy
sometimes sleepy
sweet
ready with affection
mischievous
curious
into everything
our wonderful
special
friend

kwpershey said...

There once was a puggle named Atticus
Whose master oft' called him Sir Fatticus
From his rear came a paste
We feared the toddler would taste
So he's back at the pound;
don't be mad at us.

I never, ever imagined I would write a poem about my former pet's anal gland disease. Ew.

Lucky Fresh said...

Okay, nothing against rule-breakers -- and your contributions were impressive in fact, within their respective genres -- but sometimes the rigid structure of a particular form is what calls forth genius.

And I have to stay that Katherine's poem about Atticus is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. Even my mother-in-law laughed uncontrollably.

So I think we have a winner! Yay, Katherine!

(Sorry there isn't a better prize than that. I would like to give you all ribbons for partipating!)

kwpershey said...

Woohoo!