I was brought up by a sociologist. That is my excuse for a lot of things, including this post.
I was caused to think about people losing their jobs and being fearful of losing their jobs yesterday (quel surprise, no?). And it made me reflect on a probable connection between the forces of anti-feminism and the forces of Big Capital.
It seems to me that Big Capital probably appreciates those folks who go around blaming the Incredible Decline of America on women taking jobs outside the home. It's not that Big Capital cares whether women work or not; unless it's a way to keep some of their money (which it is, more often than not), BC tends to be gender-neutral.
But what Big Capital knows is that families living on one income are naturally more dependent on keeping that income. A worker who is their family's sole support is less likely to do things that might get them fired, like ask for raises, or to be paid for overtime, or complain about working conditions, or organize a union, or blow a whistle on corruption.
Sigh. Yet another way that misogyny works for The Man.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
At least the House voted to pass the Lily Ledbetter Act and the Paycheck Fairness Act, and I think they stand a good chance of passing the Senate
Yes, very lovely!
Did you know that Lilly Ledbetter lives in the next town from me? I met her at a fall Democratic party event. She rocks!
Post a Comment