why churches need to partner with artists to help people become more tolerant of ambiguity.
Daniel Gilbert's piece in the NYT says that what's got us in this funk is not that we know times are bad, but that we don't know for sure how bad they are.
Uncertainty is a given; you'd think we'd get used to that. As Shawn Colvin sings, "If there's one thing certain, it's there ain't nothing for sure." But we don't.
Churches could help with this. I consider it one of our greatest callings. Yet, so many churches seem bent on the exact opposite: convincing people that they need to know things exactly, the Gospel Truth, the Right Way, and that if they come here, we'll tell them how. How does that equip anyone for living life?
I prefer, instead, to get better and better at telling people "I don't know" in ways that won't frighten them. It's not that easy, but we're working on it.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment