So it's possible I broke my toe. Probably I didn't. Probably I just stubbed it (well, really stubbed my foot) really hard and it's bruised but not broken.
I've gotten lots of conflicting advice from facebook friends -- just ice it, eat bananas, get it x-rayed, they won't do anything so tape it yourself -- none of whom, of course, have actually seen my toe. I have iced it and I wrapped it when I went to bed last night and again today when I went to church. It doesn't hurt too terribly bad today, but it does still hurt.
I had considered calling my doctor this afternoon, because she's good about me calling her at home. But it's Mother's Day. And it doesn't hurt as much as it did.
One person told me that untreated broken toes can lead to bone spurs. And the thing is__I've never broken a bone before, so I'd kind of like to get an x-ray just to know if I broke something. But I don't know if I will.
At this point, I think I've decided that if it still hurts substantially tomorrow, I'll go to the urgent care place and see about getting an x-ray.
But here's the thing: we're nowhere close to having used up our deductible yet, so all of these decisions are made with finances in the mix. And from what I know, if we had single-payer health care like they do in Canada or Britain, I would probably have gone this afternoon just to check it out. And then I would know. Instead, I sit here weighing my options and trying to figure out how much something should hurt before you do something about it.
Things could be different.
Oh, and don't try to take off your shoes while you're walking. It could be dangerous!
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment