in the health care reform debate, as succinctly explained by Paul Krugman.
Let us all pray that Obama will stand up to these highway robbers. If he doesn't, he's going to lose 90% of my support. And probably more support from the rest of America than he calculates. I believe that this is one of those issues that some people say things about that they don't really mean. They say they want such-and-such, like a five-year-old who wants to eat candy, but they're really wishing someone would make them do the thing that's good for them. At least, I hope that's true.
Friday, May 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great article! Slam dunk:
" 'We can do a lot better than a government-run health care system,' says a voice-over in one of the ads. To which the obvious response is, if that’s true, why don’t you? Why deny Americans the chance to reject government insurance if it’s really that bad?"
Now I think the industry hacks should run the following line instead: "We can't do any better than a government-run health care system, but it can't do any better than us. Americans can not be trusted to reject an equally inadequate government-run system. Insuring every American is an inherently impossible problem that is best left to the pathetically inept status quo. Please continue not to pay attention to every other industrialized country in the world."
I learned this line of reasoning in a Facebook discussion. :-)
Post a Comment