Maybe it's the rain, maybe it's just where my ministry is at the moment, but today, I'm feeling very aware of the complications of celebrating Mother's Day in public ways.
Today, I am thankful for my mother, and the other mothers in my life. But I'm also remembering women who have tried and tried to become mothers and not been able to, and children (adult or not) whose mothers are aging or ill or fighting cancer, and people who have lost their mothers, and people whose mothers weren't really mothers to them, and new mothers suffering from post-partum depression.
I am amazed that anyone is willing to have children, as I find it the most terrifying thing I can imagine doing on purpose. You are brave. I also don't have the stomach for that kind of self-sacrifice. So I'm glad you do it, because I ain't going to.
But in the midst of all the pink and the marketing and the flowers, I want to give a shout-out to all those for whom this day is complicated or hard. God bless us all, whatever our lot!
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great post.
Post a Comment