I have a new theory about traffic accidents.
I think they should start asking people who do risky things and cause accidents what sorts of traffic difficulties they were going through just before the thing that caused the accident.
Because my theory is that there is a certain amount of build-up that makes us take risks.
I say this because I know it's true of me. The other day, I was trying to pull out of a parking garage that is near a notoriously annoying intersection. I had to wait and wait and wait. So by the time I got out, I had this pent-up annoyance and a profound sense of the traffic gods owing me one.
So when I saw that the traffic light ahead of me was green (and then yellow), the one that you usually have to wait for forever, I made the decision to go for it. Despite the fact that I was way too far from the actual intersection for that to be a good idea. I'm pretty sure it was red by the time I got there, but I went through anyway. Because I felt entitled to something, for having had to wait so long to get on the road.
That is crazy.
But I sincerely doubt I am the only one who ever does this. What sort of inner monologue would it take to stop ourselves from allowing one incident (having to wait, or having someone cut you off, or missing an exit) to affect the way we handle the next situation?
Anyway, I think they should start asking, because it might eventually convince municipalities to pay more attention to annoying intersections, if they're causing people to make poor decisions in other places too.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I totally do this. I've been trying to be more attentive to it, because, as you point out, it can be really dangerous....and plus, I'm kind of judge-y when I see other people doing it. But man, when the traffic gods owe you something, you really want to collect right away!
Post a Comment