Friday, May 22, 2009

One of the Things I Love about Being a Pastor

Even before I really knew anything about it, I knew that being a pastor would mean I would have lots of different kinds of jobs. Most people would qualify ministry as a professional job, a thinking job, something that requires a vibrant intellectual training (well, most of the people talking about the kind of pastorate I have pursued, anyway).

But one of the things about being a pastor that I love is that I get to do lots of other kinds of things too, things that aren't so much about thinking as they are about building things, or creating things, or working out physical solutions to physical problems (like how to create privacy for a baptism when there isn't any).

There is an interesting piece in the NYT today about the attraction of jobs that require doing actual physical work. It may seem weird, but I can relate. (Warning: It's adapted from a book, so it's way longer than you might expect. But interesting and well-written.)

1 comment:

KDSH said...

One of the things I liked best about this article was how it celebrated the learning that can come through doing something badly.

In our culture of focusing on strenghts, it's good to have someone noting that skills require practice and that adversity or failure teaches important lessons of resilience, patience, and self-acceptance.