Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mississippi Cool Breeze

"Change is gonna come..."

And in Philadelphia, Mississippi, it arrived recently, when the town elected its first black mayor.

This is the town where James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner lost their lives trying to register voters. If you weren't alive at the time, you might have watched "Mississippi Burning" which came out in 1988.

You can read about it in the NYT here.

I did a project in high school about this story. It was a complicated history thing where I took on the role of a college student who'd gone down there with them and gotten almost involved with one of the guys. It was presented in a series of letters back to and from my pretend family (whom I believe I made up to be New York Jews -- don't know what that was about exactly, but oh well). I wonder if anyone knows where that project is anymore? Maybe if someone did, they should write a comment about it, don't you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone may have an idea about where to look, but someone doesn't have time to conduct a search just now.