Sunday, July 25, 2010

Maternal Pride

I believe I've talked a little bit before about ministry being somewhat like parenting. Like as close to parenting as I'm ever going to get, God willing.

Another instance just now...

I was thinking about the achievements (though I hesitate to use that word) of the members of my congregation lately, particularly the community prayer garden that they built. This past week, some finishing touches were completed that really tied it up with a bow. (Figuratively speaking, of course. Bows don't belong in gardens.) And I was, internally, beaming with pride just thinking about it.

I am so proud of them. I mean, they had a lot of help, from other people and the Holy Spirit. But they worked so hard. In the garden, one particular person worked and is still working so hard to make it amazing. And I'm afraid I'm being the kind of mother who assumes he knows that I love him. I'm truly not sure I've told him enough how incredible what he has done is. I should do that.

1 comment:

Raymond L. Brown said...

Maybe try an indirect approach. Say it in a thankful bulletin or newsletter announcement. Care in these matters is always to be valued because you certainly do not want the sentiment to be construed wrongly.

Blessings!