Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Bear Got Waked

So probably the beginning of July wasn't the best time for me to become a once-a-day blogger again. Because Patriotism season makes me crabby.

I was actually contemplating writing about how I truly love the version of "O Beautiful for Spacious Skies" that's in our hymnal. We sang it today, and it struck me how completely not inappropriate it is and how much I love it for that. It is a sincere prayer to God to make a beautiful country live up to its potential.

And then I thought about writing about something else, which I've already forgotten. So I guess I won't write about that.

But then, I was on facebook and came across this ridiculous statement.

"WTF Bluejays are playing on American soil at Yankee Stadium. and wearing the canadian symbol on jersey. The[y] should be fined and the team no longer should be allowed to play an american sport on american soil. It is the 4th our independence day."

Seriously? He's offended that the TORONTO Bluejays wear Canadian maple leafs on their uniforms on the fourth of July? Really? Because if we're having a holiday, the rest of the world ceases to exist? Or because they're here on our holiday, so they should pretend they're not from Canada, because their foreignness might threaten our ability to celebrate?

Someone had responded to him before I read this post, saying, "Haha they wear the red maple on their jerseys every game and at least they are playin on american soil, it would be un-american if they played in toronto. As much as I hate bud selig at least he did one thing right."

I'm not even sure how that makes sense.

And the original poster replied: "that is true but still dont wear the maple leaf on the 4th only out of respect"

Really!?!?! Really?!?!

I should have just moved on. But I couldn't. It was too stupid, too offensive, too ridiculous, too much. So I wrote this: "Just because we're having a holiday doesn't meant Canada doesn't exist or that they're not from there. I don't get why their having a national identity has any impact on whether we can celebrate or not. Perhaps you could find an actual injustice to be mad about?"

If he's offended by a Canadian team wearing a Canadian symbol, I can only assume he'll be offended by me defending them. Hopefully, he'll decide not to be my friend anymore. I don't have a lot of need to fight this one to even a draw. It's just too stupid. But it makes me grouchy enough that I just might. He shouldn't have waked the bear.

No comments: