Friday, July 9, 2010

Different Worlds

So evidently, as far as I can tell from posts on facebook, something has just happened to someone named LeBron James. I think he plays a sport, but I don't really know which one.

What is weird is how absolutely little I know or care about something that is clearly really important to a lot of people. Let me re-phrase, something that a lot of people care about. It's like a whole other world I've never been to or had the remotest desire to visit.

What is even weirder is that there are people, I assume, who relate to the world of current events (that is, actual political history) in this same way. They do not follow current events, have no desire to do so, and don't get why anyone would have a problem with that.

But I do have a problem with it. We inhabit different worlds, and I think there is something wrong with them never visiting this one and I think there is nothing wrong with me never visiting that one. Because politics are simply WAY MORE IMPORTANT than sports. Politics matter. Sports don't.

There. I said it. Probably nobody reading here is going to care. Because you live in my world. And even if you visit that other one, you have some idea of where I'm coming from. But then again, maybe some lost visitor from afar will be offended. Too bad. I said it, and I mean it.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Have you seen Invictus? Political movie about the role of sports in society.

The latest Borowitz Report concerns the Lebron story.