There was a time in my life when I thought I wanted to live in Switzerland. I don't really know why; I clearly didn't know that much about it. I think I thought the topography was cool, and I know I thought the historic commitment to neutrality was cool. I've since learned that neutrality is not necessarily as principled a position as you might think. (See: storage of stolen art, untraceable bank accounts, etc.)
Now I'm utterly convinced I don't want to live in Switzerland. They recently took a vote and passed a ban on the future construction of minarets. Minarets are the bell-tower-like structures that accompany mosques. Normally, the Muslim call to prayer is broadcast from a minaret, but of the four already existing minarets in Switzerland, none of them do that. There is no reason for this ban other than unadulterated bigotry and uninformed nationalist xenophobia.
Really? You're going to ban a certain type of building? Do you not see how crazy that is? What's truly frightening is the margin by which this ban passed. Only 4 of the 26 Swiss cantons (like states, or perhaps more like counties) didn't pass it.
The international, ecumenical Christian community needs to make a statement about this. Especially since their headquarters are in Geneva.
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yes - it is disgusting. I don't know if there are any thinking people there who have some credible reasons in mind, but none are obvious from here.
According to my source in Switzerland, people are quite surprised it passed, at least in the urban areas. No word yet on whether any Christian organizations have made statements, but I've got someone on it.
Can women vote in Switzerland yet? I remember there was a vote about that not that long ago, but I don't remember what the decision was.
I think I read somewhere (how's that for great reporting?) that there appears to be some question as to whether this vote is even constitutional. So it may not become law after all.
Last week, I had dinner with some friends-of-friends who live in Switzerland, and they were just appalled by the whole vote. Of course, they vote on just about everything in Switzerland, so.....
Post a Comment