Monday, December 14, 2009

I Love It When "The Nation" Goes All Religious

As in this article by William Greider (quite possibly my favorite economist) about the faith-based movement to outlaw usury.

I am afraid, however, that he gives modern-day people of faith too much credit when he concludes: "Ordinary people already understand the meaning of usury. They know it is wrong." I wonder how many people in my congregation could explain what usury is and why it's wrong? If they couldn't, would it really be their fault? How many preachers have preached on the evils of usury lately? I haven't. Perhaps I should.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes - do it!

Helen said...

Don't you think most people kind of instinctively think usury is bad? They might not know the term (ok - I just had to look it up to double-check that *I* knew what it meant), but I imagine people generally get the concept.