Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Exit Sign Characters

Here in the Heart of Dixie, we have some towns with interesting names. Actually, that tends to be true most places. Some of my favorites are the combinations of towns that end up on the same exit sign off an interstate.

Here in HoD, there are some that sound like movie stars: Grace Garland

And some that sound like characters from some thick Southern novel: Georgiana Starlington and Heflin Hollis.

There is one from southern Illinois that always catches my eye too: Vienna Golconda. That doesn't sound like a person exactly, but something interesting.

I am reminded of this today because the directions for how to get where we're going instruct us to take the Georgiana Starlington exit. I am super excited about that, never having had the opportunity to do so before.

What characters emerge from the road signs where you live or have traveled?

2 comments:

Mom said...

My all-time favorite is the one we saw in the Portland area that said

Boring
Oregon City

Lucky Fresh said...

One I forgot on that route: Jemison Thorsby. I'm pretty sure he's Georgiana's gentleman friend.