Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday Five -- Advent Stillness Edition

Over at the RevGalBlogPals, they are asking what you are NOT doing to prepare for Christmas.

Finally, a list I love!

Actually, I'm doing some things this year that I haven't done before (like seriously cleaning the house and more baking), because we are hosting a Christmas Open House here at home this year, for church folks and a few other friends. But there are still plenty of things I refuse to do.

Here are five things I'm not doing to prepare for Christmas:

1. I am not hanging lights on any part of the outside of my house.

2. I am not sending out a huge number of Christmas cards. If I get around to it, I might send 6 or so.

3. I am hoping not to spend any time at the mall.

4. I am not watching any holiday movies or tv specials on television.

5. And finally, most relievingly and the reason for the Christmas Open House, I am not hosting a reception immediately following the Christmas Eve service this year. For the past 6-7 years, my husband and I have done this, rather elaborately, despite the fact that we are usually traveling out of town the next day. It was kind of crazy. So this year, we decided that we can just all greet each other warmly after Christmas Eve, and we'll offer our hospitality earlier in the month. Hopefully no one will mind.

3 comments:

Jan said...

So glad you're not doing the Christmas open house. Neither am I!

Auntie Knickers said...

I can't even imagine expecting the pastor to do anything social after Christmas Eve worship...if congregation wants it, let a layperson or two organize it (spoken as a layperson). Glad you are changing things!

Unknown said...

I'm always amazed to hear of clergy doing those social things, so glad you are giving yourselves a break!