We commissioned some missionaries last week at our church convention. And I had a weird moment during that.
I suddenly noticed that most of the missionaries were young men. They were mostly all young folks, but it stuck out to me that they were almost all male. And I was glad.
Weird, eh? You see, the thing is that lately, it seems like almost all people taking on short-term ministry, intern-like positions that will lead to bigger things in our denomination have been young women. I certainly don't believe in an all-male ministry, but I don't really think an all-female ministry would be a huge improvement either. (Okay, maybe a little improvement, at least for a little while, but not a huge one!)
So I was glad to see some young men stepping up. It made me curious about why these particular positions and not others that are still currently dominated by young women, but mostly, I was just glad to see them showing up.
Friday, August 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment