Friday, August 21, 2009

Measuring the Passage of Time

I think I've mentioned before that I have an unusually strong attachment to my birthday. The context last time was that I have a brief surge of celebration whenever I see my birth date on a digital clock.

But another thing that loving my birthday means is that I'm a fan of horoscopes. They are ridiculous, but they are attached to the day of my birth. I am happy about being a Virgo. Reading my horoscope entertains me, and even occasionally reminds me to watch myself in important ways through the day.

But the best thing about the horoscope, in my local paper at least, is that they always keep the one whose birthday is right now at the top of the list. They shift them in the middle of each month, so that the current one is first. Which gives you a subtle way of knowing how long it is till your birthday arrives. As long as I'm on the second column of the list, I know it's not soon, but once you move over to the first one, it's getting here. So really, the horoscope is a way of measuring the passage of time, which seems to be something humans are really into.

(Except possibly not so much in Iowa. My sister's newspaper's horoscope had gotten stuck with March at the top of the list. It's like they were doing it and then just forgot to change it or something.)

Right now, my sign is second on the list. And as of Tuesday, my birthday is less than a month away. So last night, when I started to crave chocolate chips again, I started to think a little bigger. Suddenly I didn't just want chocolate chips; I wanted my birthday cake, which has chocolate chips in it.

And though I occasionally believe in delayed gratification, last night was not one of those occasions. So I went to the store, got what I needed, and made a cake. You can too, because I'm breaking my silly rule and posting a recipe.

I have had this cake for my birthday every year since I was about ten. It is Very Tasty. And it can pass for coffee cake, so you can even eat it for breakfast, which I may be about to do.

POLKA-DOT CAKE

Sift together
2 cups flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
into a medium bowl.

Cream together
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
in a large bowl.

Add the flour mixture to the cream mixture and mix thoroughly.

In a small bowl combine
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chips.

Spread half the batter into a 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle half the chip mixture on top of the batter.
Carefully spread the other half of the batter on top of the chips. (This part is a little complicated, but it doesn't matter a whole lot if they get moved around.)
Sprinkle the rest of the chip mixture on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool (at least mostly) before eating. No frosting required. (Another reason I love this cake!)

Enjoy! And may your birthday arrive soon!

No comments: