Sunday, August 30, 2009

Horrifying, Grateful Memory

Do you ever have a moment when you suddenly remember something (trivially) awful from your past that you're so glad isn't happening anymore?

That just happened to me, as I closed the fridge.

It's amazing the impression some kinds of pain can have on you.

Probably almost 25 years ago, my family went to the beach. (That wasn't the bad part; we loved that beach.)

But this particular time, in this particular house (and I don't actually remember which one it was) the fridge was an appliance from HELL. It was very subtle, mind you, but it was from HELL.

The door was too close to the floor. And by too close, I mean it would SMASH your toes in a PINCH that hurt like the DEVIL if your foot was in its path as you closed it. I still can't believe how much it hurt.

And insanely, though you'd think one smashing would be enough, it wasn't our normal fridge and closing the fridge was not something we were used to having to approach carefully. So, it being the beach and us usually being barefoot, we all got our toes SMASHED a lot that week.

So much so, that I'm closing my fridge here tonight, still flinching but grateful that my fridge is not from hell. Thank you, Jeebus.

No comments: