Sunday, August 9, 2009

On Uncertainty

So I was in the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport the other day, and I might have seen Senator Al Franken. I had this great set-up with my laptop on the edge of a restaurant with a lovely Bella Roma pizza, facing out a big tinted window.

And in this one, brief moment, I looked up, just slightly too late, and saw someone who might have been Al Franken. It was, in fact, the day the Senate went out for recess, so it easily could have been him. But he was already past my spot in the window, so I only got the 7:00 or so view of his face.

There was no one with him, which made it seem less likely that it was him. But then again, maybe he likes to fly solo.

So now I'm left with this weird, unresolved feeling. It might have been him. It quite possibly wasn't. It seems cooler that it might have been him than it would have been if I thought it was him, and then he turned around and I discovered it wasn't him.

But it's definitely not as cool as if he'd turned around and it clearly was him.

I had been on a trip where I had my 24-year-old autograph book with me, but it was in my checked bag, so even if I'd run after him (which would have been terribly difficult given where the restaurant's door was and probably embarrassing for everyone, since it probably wasn't him), I couldn't have had him sign it.

So I guess (since I have no choice), I'm left with possibly having seen Senator Al Franken in the MSP airport. Actually, come to think of it, just being able to write "Senator Al Franken" is probably enough.

No comments: