Thursday, August 6, 2009

Haikus for Hiroshima Day

I have been having a wonderful day with my sister's family. We had tea and went shopping at a thrift store. But then when I got back and checked my email, I was reminded that today is the 64th anniversary of the American bombing of Hiroshima, Japan. I got attached to this tragedy early in life through the story of Sadako and the 1000 paper cranes.

So let's mark the occasion with some haikus.


Loud hot powerful
Wind carries the breath of death
Eternal instant.


Families apart
Survivors always wonder
How bad was the end?


Someone dropped that bomb.
Was it me? Was it not me?
It was all of us.


When we say "Never"
do we really mean Never?
Are we listening?


Paper cranes for peace
One thousand works of art
Prayers our fingers make

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful poems. You should send them to DisciplesWorld.

Rachel said...

Lovely. I agree they should be published.