Written Thursday, April 2, 2009
It’s been stormy lately. And I’ve been fine with that. Earlier this evening, there was a little thunder and lightning. And it occurred to me for a moment that thunder and lightning storms are my favorite weather. And then that struck me as ridiculous.
If someone asked you what your favorite weather was, it would sort of mean the kind of weather you would most prefer to have all the time. The natural, sensible response for most people, me included, would be sunny, warm-but-not-hot weather. You know, like the way it always is in Southern California.
But I like thunder and lightning. I get bored with sunny. But unlike sunshine in Southern California, I don’t think there is a place on earth where the weather is always thunder and lightning. That sounds like something out of science fiction. Part of what makes thunder and lightning special is that it’s an only once in a while sort of weather. The unique confluence of climatic conditions that are required to create thunder and lightning simply doesn’t happen all that often. Which is part of why thunder and lightning are so cool.
If I had to pick a weather to spend eternity with, I’d probably go with sunny. But I would miss thunder and lightning. Which brings me back to another conclusion I’ve made before: “favorite” questions are silly. When you don’t have to pick a “best” why would you? We get to have all sorts of weather (those of us who don’t live in California), and for that, I am grateful.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment