Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

1. I feel like I haven't blogged in forever, and I can't figure out why that is. Am I too full or too empty?

2. Last week, I went on retreat and while I was there, I read the passion account in all four gospels, individually. I did this because I realized, on the way down there, that when I put together a Maundy Thursday/Good Friday service, it is mostly an exercise in cutting and pasting each bit of the story from the gospel that covers it "best", whatever that means. So I thought it might be nice to see what they sound like individually.
When you really read the Bible, you notice how weird and amusing it is. I was using my New Interpreter's Study Bible, and I really noticed how weirdly and amusingly different the commentators were too.

3. I have this parishioner who occupies way too much of my brain and attention and heart and time. She pretty much always has, and I don't know what to do about it. Advice please.

4. Someone joined my church tonight, during a small group session. Normally, I would not recommend that, but she's been wanting to join for a while, and our book had us discussing "barriers" to people joining. And her barrier was walking down the aisle in front of everyone. So we just did it, and we'll announce it the Sunday after Easter. (We thought it'd be nice to save a surprise for that Sunday, since Easter will be so full.) Plus, then we decided we'd dedicate her two-year-old and confirm her baptism all at once on Mother's Day. Good stuff.

5. I am doing two baptisms on Sunday, by full immersion. And they're both grown men. Well, actually, one is a pretty short man, but the other one is tall. For whatever weird reason, I've only baptized women until now, and I've never done more than one at a time. Will be exciting. Boy, am I glad for that baptismal lab we had my last semester in seminary!

6. I may have briefly mentioned that I hate penne pasta a couple posts ago. I do. I know that's illogical and unfair, but it bugs me. However, I discovered a way to cook it that I actually enjoyed. We found an ancient (but unopened) jar of pesto in the cupboard the other day. We had some cooked, shredded chicken breast. So I heated up the pesto and the chicken and added it to the penne. But there was a secret ingredient: A big, huge hunk of cream cheese melted into the pesto and chicken before it went on the pasta. Mmm, mmm, good.

7. We had an awesome rehearsal for our April 19th performance of John Rutter's Requiem last night. I think we will be ready. The harpist comes next Monday. But I still think it's hiliarious to sing about granting dead people eternal rest while you're also wishing for light eternal to shine on them always. I don't like sleeping with light shining on me.

8. I finished an awesome book yesterday called "The Agitator's Daughter." The sub-title in "a memoir of four generations of one extraordinary african-american family." It mostly takes place here in the Heart of Dixie, so it was pretty interesting to read. My grandfather finished it while he was visiting, and left it for me to read and pass on. The author is Sheryll Cashin. It made me appreciate my family and hers.

9. I went to a pastors breakfast with my congressman this morning. It was pretty unpleasant, though I wouldn't have called it "heated" as one person did, trying to change the subject. I'm beginning to realize that I have a high tolerance for conflict. But it's really hard for me to understand how people can come to the some of the conclusions they do. I just don't get how reality can be that different for different people. I guess I have a high tolerance because it's so clear to me that they're wrong and I should help them see that. Sigh.

10. I think it flurried outside my office window briefly today. It's April. This is the Heart of Dixie. The season switch must have a short.

5 comments:

LiturgyGeek said...

I wish *I* had had a baptismal lab in my last semester in seminary...because I have a feeling some kids here will eventually want immersion baptism.

Lucky Fresh said...

Come on down, and I'll give you one! Or get Backbencher to give you one. I bet some local would let you use theirs for practice after they've had one.

LiturgyGeek said...

That's actually a great idea!

KDSH said...

I love that you acquired the book _the Agitator's Daughter_ from your grandpa. Seems so appropriate.

As for the pesto/penne/chicken/cream cheese meal, what's so great about it is that it was a concoction of various leftovers that ended up divine. I love it when that happens.

April said...

When I was in seminary, a friend was questioning one of the profs about the concept of eternal rest. He said something about how sitting around doing nothing all day did not sound like much of a reward. I remember the prof looking at him with bemusement and saying something about how it was clear that he'd never experienced a day, let alone a life, of hard, physical labor. Similarly, lux eterna must have been a dazzling concept for people who had to really work to provide light.

I wonder what our 21st century constructs of heaven would be? Unlimited thai food and super-fast internet access? I'm imagining "pad thai ad infinitum" to Rutter's setting. It doesn't have quite the same ring to it.