So the other day, I hit on this idea about why people like Facebook. It's weird to me that I've never heard anyone say this, because now that I've thought it, it seems totally obvious.
This came up because I mentioned that I was enjoying "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert, and about 8 people commented on it. Except really, they were commenting on each other's comments as much as they were commenting on my original statement.
And it made me think about how cool it was that people from so many different periods of my life have interesting things (like taste in books) in common. And suddenly, I was thinking about that daydream I like to indulge about the big party, at a big beach house or somewhere, where you bring people from all the different parts of your life and everyone hangs out and has a great time.
I doubt that I am the only person who secretly or not-so-secretly harbors the desire for such a gathering. And though it's not billed that way, Facebook is the closest thing to creating such a thing that most of us will ever get. When friends who don't know each other have even a tiny interaction because they're all reacting to one mutual friend's comment, it starts that web to growing, and it feels kind of cool. Now I just have to find a really, really big beach house.*
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment