Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another Random Thought about Facebook

Okay, so I ended that last post with an asterisk. That's because I was implying that I would need a beach house for all my 467 facebook friends. The truth is that I wouldn't want to hang out at a beach house with all of the people I'm "friends" with on facebook.

And here's why that can be a good thing. I contend that facebook is making me a more tolerant person. Because there are some people that I am friends with on facebook that I have very little in common with. This becomes an issue (in my brain) when we disagree politically. But the thing is, on facebook, because they're my "friends" I don't say snarky things. I don't "tell them how I feel" because there's no point in doing what would just be rude. Especially when they're happy about things that I find disturbing, it is good for my soul to try to just be happy for them because they're happy and release my judgment about the causes.

I am aware that not everyone may be affected in this way by facebook, but I bet a lot of people are. There was a study a while back that Mother Jones summed up as saying facebook and twitter make you immoral and stupid. I can't speak for twitter, but I beg to differ when it comes to facebook.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I hope you join Twitter one of these days!