1. With December about to start, I am already getting sad that my 2009 "Roman Holiday" calendar, purchased a year ago summer IN ROME, is almost done. One would think that might mean I get to go back and get another one, but sadly, it doesn't.
2. I became convinced this morning (while waking up) that I was 32 for a year and a half and then turned 34. I just have no sense of connection to ever being 33, ever. This happened with supposedly being 19 too. I was definitely 18 for a year and a half and then turned 20.
3. I have made an executive decision that we will be switching back to the more expensive cat litter as soon as the current bucket is empty. The cheapo stuff is getting caught in the cat's feet and he tracks it ALL OVER the house and IT STINKS! It's making me crazy. And it's gotten to the point where it's worth the extra money.
4. I am afraid I am about to give up on buying my milk at the dairy. The problem? The milk doesn't stay good long enough. The last gallon I bought I actually saw go into the jug while I was there. But it went bad (sour) in about 9 days. I don't even think the sell-by date had arrived yet, and it tasted icky. This makes me very sad. Since I've gotten used to paying more, I think I will compromise by getting the grocery store kind that doesn't have hormones in it. But I hate not supporting the dairy. Unfortunately, I hate wasting milk (or drinking sour milk!) even more.
5. When people are driving annoyingly slow, there is probably a really good reason for it. They might be lost; they might be impaired. In any case, you probably don't want they driving fast. Even if it's just 'cause they're old, that is actually a good reason. Think about it -- the two times you've ever in your life driven annoyingly slow, you had an entirely legitimate excuse, yes? Let's all try to remember this next time we're behind Slowpoke. (Sometimes I blog to myself, mind you!)
6. There is NOT, however, any good reason for idiots to drive around in the rain without their headlights on. STOP IT! Turn your lights on. You may not need them to see (duh), but the rest of us need to see you, crazy person!
7. I have been around a lot of kids lately. It's amazing how often kids' fingers are up their noses. And it's incredible to me how uptight the rest of society is about that. The truth is that a finger is the perfect thing for removing boogers. Duh. It's like that's why they were invented. So why not just embrace it, and hand them a tissue for wiping their finger off?
8. Why do you suppose we don't ever have lights in cemeteries? I mean, I know we're not supposed to go in them after dark anyway, but they would look less scary if there were some nice lamp posts around. The dead people, obviously, don't care, and maybe it would just be a waste of electricity. But I wonder if there are deep, traditional reasons for that, like not disturbing the rest of the dead. Maybe it's just about discouraging evening visitors. But it seems like a little illumination would make grave vandals think twice. Plus, I think it would make cemeteries seem more welcoming and peaceful. I'm just saying.
9. I am starting a new crusade. I think it would make more sense for us to refer to the words we currently call "possessive pronouns" as "relational pronouns". Simply put, they do not always really mean possession. Possession is one category of relation, but not the only one for which we use these words. "My church" does not belong to me. "My aunt" does not belong to me. But I have a particular relation to each of these things. Obviously this is not a hugely important fight, but one could argue that by teaching children in grammar class that those words are about possession that we encourage distorted understandings of relationality that can lead to things like "you don't get to do that because you're MY girlfriend!" Calling them "relational pronouns" could move us in the direction of healthier relationships.
10. It is now my goal, for when I live in a larger metropolis and make more money, to indulge in private, Latin dance lessons as my regular exercise. It will be good for my body and my soul. Someone remind of this if those other two things ever become true, okay?
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Does the dairy sell milk in smaller quantities? Otherwise, yea, I don't relish the smell of sour milk. It's a wonder my diss/book isn't completely curdled since it's taking me so long to write. Perhaps it's aging, like cheese or wine.
Unfortunately, they don't sell the dairy milk in anything but gallon jugs. Sigh. And they stopped making egg nog too, so life has no more meaning.
Post a Comment