Monday, November 16, 2009

Contradiction is What Makes Humans Interesting

So last week, at the Senior Adult Retreat that I led, I met a new friend. What's weird is that under most other circumstances, I probably would have been repelled enough by other things about this man that I would have successfully resisted becoming his friend. But it happened anyway.

The man in question is a retired clergyman from Texas and a disabled veteran, a former Marine. He has a low, growly voice that is almost a stereotype in itself.

I actually followed him into the retreat center. He stopped to ask two pedestrians for directions, and then I just said to them, "Should I just follow him?" So I did.

He was new to the area, this was his first retreat, and my cruise-director instincts took over. I became intent on making sure he felt welcome, and in the process, I think we became quite fond of each other. I convinced him to come to the next clergy retreat, which he had been planning to skip, since partners are also welcome and he doesn't have one.

Honestly, I'm guessing we don't agree about much of anything, and that he probably believes a bunch of things that would drive me crazy. But he also took the time to very intentionally and respectfully thank me for my leadership of the retreat and to comment that when he got started in ministry, women weren't in leadership yet, but that now that they are, things are much better. Yay for new friends! Yay for the Spirit that arranges circumstances so we can avoid the fences that would normally restrict love.

No comments: