Last year, during the primary, there were black folks who were saying they didn't think Obama would live to be inaugurated. While I understood where they were coming from, I thought their concerns were overblown.
Obviously, they were wrong. He did get inaugurated. And he's been president now for almost nine months.
But I now share their concerns. Things have changed. Well, actually, those black folks would probably point out that things haven't changed; that's the whole point. Things have just become more out-in-the-open.
The line between what is socially acceptable and what is not has shifted in this country. (Which is a pretty momentous change in and of itself.) And the shift is a very dangerous one.
Can you imagine what would have happened if someone had worn a gun to a Bush rally? (Assuming it wasn't assumed he was a vigilante there to protect the president, since it would be so weird for a leftie to show up wearing a gun...)
Things have shifted, and I am now very worried about the safety of our president. I was thinking about it last night. I was thinking about how if Obama is assassinated, it would not be unreasonable to hold any Republican politician who hadn't made a clear statement denouncing disrespect and threats of violence, partially responsible for his death. They ought to be doing that right now. I considered writing a letter to that effect to my representative and senators.
And then I got to thinking about my own life, as a citizen and as a minister. And I came up with a question: If Obama got assassinated, would you have regrets about what you'd done or not done to shape and influence the tone of debate in this country?
Have I done enough to help tone down the rhetoric of violence and hatred? I haven't, thus far, done much openly and directly. So if the unthinkable happened, would I feel guilty about not doing more? Should that possibility affect my choices about what I do now?
It's a truly creepy question, but I'm glad I'm asking it now and not because I have to. I'll keep you posted as to whether I do anything about it or not.
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think you are absolutely right about the responsibility. The Southern Poverty Law Center has won judgments against hate groups for creating a climate of intolerance that was shown to foster violence against persons of color. There is legal precedent for that kind of hate-mongering to be held accountable for actions it encourages implicitly, if not explicitly.
As for me, I am praying for the conversion and salvation of Rush Limbaugh.
Post a Comment