I was talking (and walking) with my Walking Buddy today, and the subject of Thanksgiving came up. It came up, incidently, because the Monday before is the day WB will be officially installed as the PERMANENT rector of her church! Which is awesome because it means I don't have to find a new walking buddy next month, which was the original, unfortunate plan.
But anyhow, Thanksgiving came up, and WB asked if I would be here. Which I will. Possibly alone, as my honey might go to PA to see our new grand-nephew. I don't like to travel at Thanksgiving most years, not because of the Thanksgiving holiday but because of the too-soon arrival of the next holy day, the First Sunday of Advent, which this year -- as in far too many years -- is the same weekend as Thanksgiving.
I am tired of this. It squishes things far too close together. It makes planning complicated and travel difficult. It decreases the impact of the arrival of Advent because we're all still in a tryptophan-induced food coma.
So, the way I see it, we have two choices. Either we can celebrate Thanksgiving when the Canadians do, in October, which is probably just not going to happen because it will still be too warm most places to feel right.
Or, we can do the sensible thing and move Christmas to December 29th, so that Advent never starts in November. Choice number two is obviously the better one, and yet, I'm guessing you're thinking it will never happen. May I remind you that the Ancient Romans once removed a month or two from their lives one year in order to get their calendar back in sync with the seasons? Is this really all that different?
Vote early and often! Christmas on the 29th! You heard it here first!
Monday, September 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment