Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Perspective on Distance

I live basically downtown. Well, a block or two away from what qualifies as downtown in my tiny little city. And a block and a half away from where I work most of the time.

When I have to go to the mall, in the adjacent town, it's a big deal. I make sure I plan ahead so that anything else I have to do in that direction gets accomplished in the same trip, despite the fact that it's less than 7 or so miles away.

So it's kind of funny what I did here in HQ city the other day. My mom and I were here, and we were tourists. And man, did we tour.

We were staying at a hotel in the SW quadrant of the city. We went for brunch in the NE quarter. Then we went to kill some time at a conservatory in the SE section. Then we drove way up into the NW quadrant for massages. Then we went back to the hipster neighborhood in the NE for wandering around and dinner. Then back to our hotel in the SW.

It was a lot of driving. A native probably would have thought we were nuts. They would have had all sort of suggestions about ways we could have done all that in close together places.

But we went where we'd figured out to go (thanks to the purchase of an awesome map!), and it was just fine. (Ignoring the carbon cost, of course!) We saw the city, and I now, after 4-some years of coming to meetings here, finally feel like I know my way around.

Funny how your perspective can change!

No comments: