So there's this cop show that my husband got really into a while ago. And then he got me into it. (Now remember, we don't have an antenna or cable, but as it turns out, you can now stream a lot of stuff from the internet and it's almost like having tv. There just aren't any commercials. So sad.)
In this particular cop show, there are a few different varieties. We started with the original, spent a lot of time on one variation, and then recently moved on to a third variation. They are all good, although variation number two had a detective who bugged me. He crossed lines too often and was a psychological bully, in my opinion.
Early on, though, with variation number three, I started noticing that I seemed to be sharing a wavelength with the writers. As soon as someone would appear, I would know they were the guilty party, even though that wasn't revealed till much later in the show. There would be little things that wouldn't seem like clues, but I would know they were. And I was always right. (Okay, it's possible I'm forgetting a couple times when I was wrong, but mostly I was right.)
It was weird. I'm not usually able to predict shows like that. But it was like this one and I had a special bond.
Then, I started noticing something in the credits. This name kept coming up that I recognized. After a little research I discovered that a woman I know from college worked on the show, as a story editor. She was a senior when I was a first year, but I did a feature story on her as one of my first articles for the PR office where I had a student job. She had done a summer internship with Siskel and Ebert. (I think they were both still alive, but maybe not. Not sure.) She seemed very glamorous to me.
Which she obviously is, because now she's working in Hollywood. But does our shared alma mater explain my special connection to the plotline of this show? Hmmmm... 'Twould be hard to prove, but I'm going with "sort of, maybe."
Friday, June 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Is this Law and Order? Precision, please.
I hope the bully isn't the detective from Criminal Intent, who for some reason around here, we call Buddy Boy (we can't remember his name; OK Bobby Goren, character's name, looked it up). We like Buddy Boy, he's been compared to Sherlock Holmes. But he does like to get under the skin of his criminals...
Of course it's Law and Order. And yes, Bobby Goren is the bully. We love him a lot, but the more I watched (and maybe it gets worse as you go along), the more I wanted to have an intervention with him, as a friend, and ask him to consider whether his pressing was more about solving the case or more about his own intense need to prove that he can figure people out.
And the one I'm psychically connected with is, of course, SVU. The glamorous senior who's become a story editor is Wendy West.
There, are you happy? Now I've almost blown my cover! Silly Flax!
Crike, if you get outed here, we could have a situation on our hands, on the scale of Valerie Plame. I will let you know where you can wire the funds to ensure my continued discretion in the matter.
And, "of course" you realize there are other cop shows, such as CSI.
Post a Comment