Friday, June 26, 2009

And Sometimes...

a walk is just a walk.

For some reason, when I walk early in the morning, prayer is not really what happens. At least, not focused prayer. Sometimes it's just good to have some time for your brain to wander wherever it wants. Or even just to focus on the "mindless" task at hand. Could there be a spiritual discipline that is the opposite of mindfulness?

In the mornings, at the gym where I walk (which is really a Baptist Community Life Center -- Thanks, Baptists!), there is a low-impact aerobics class going on in the gym below the walking track. Surprisingly, though, the music used for low-impact aerobics is just as hyper as normal aerobics music.

Which actually was fine. It isn't all that conducive to prayer, but it helped me keep my pace up, and I got my three miles done in 40 minutes, which is less than a lap a minute.

No comments: