Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

1. I received notice on Saturday that I won a contest. That was kind of cool. I got a gift certificate for $50 worth of books because I made the best suggestion for the company's new website. I actually hardly ever even let myself look at the catalogs because I can't really afford to buy stuff, so I hope I don't choose poorly.

2. I love men's pants. Like the corduroys I was wearing today. I looked forever for corduroys in the women's departments, but all they ever had were annoying pants that feel like they're falling down. I hate that. Plus, women's pants have developed stunted pockets recently, whereas men's are still entirely functional. Finally, I looked in the men's department and found exactly what I wanted almost immediately. Note to self: next time, look there first and save time.

3. I have also become an advocate of the dreaded "mommy jeans." These are jeans of a particular cut that come up relatively high (to the waist or slightly below) and are slightly narrower at the ankle. In many fashion blogs, including clergy fashion blogs, they are the most derided article of clothing in existence. Well, I got a pair of Eddie Bauer mommy jeans at a thrift store two years ago and they are the most comfortable pair of jeans I own. And I'm not even a mommy; I'm just someone who values comfort. So there.

4. Continuing on the fashion theme, I realized last night at my county chorale rehearsal that only one woman in the whole choir (as far as I could tell) colors her hair. This is most unusual here in the Heart of Dixie. I was struck by what that must imply about the peculiar cultural sub-demographic that makes up the chorale. Interesting...

5. We began our discussion of Studs Terkel's book on death today in book group. It was a fabulous conversation that went 20 or so minutes overtime (my fault -- I should have reined it in). At one point, someone said, "Who knew talking about death could be so much fun?" I'm looking forward to the next 12 weeks.

6. We have a lot of dessert at our house. Three pieces of cake (two flavors), key lime pie, and chocolate mousse. Feel free to stop by for tea, as long as you're not on a diet. This happy circumstance is the result of a sorry turn-out for our fund-raiser on Saturday. Failure never tasted so sweet.

7. I got to hear the governor speak on Friday. It made me realize that the speeches I hear people give in my head are usually funnier than the ones they're actually giving. He was scolding the local politicians. Forgive my crassness, but I kept expecting to hear him say, "Quit dicking around." Being a good Baptist, he didn't. But now I have. Good thing this blog is "anonymous"! But you have to appreciate the assonance of the phrase, at least. (Assonance being the satisfying sound of two similar vowel sounds in partnership in a phrase or sentence.)

8. I want to get a humming bird feeder, and it's almost time to put it up if I'm going to. Help me remember. They say if it's not up by early March they'll never bother to find it.

9. I walked with my walking buddy today. Today was the first day when the truth of needing a walking buddy really hit me. It was dreary and gray and I was super sleepy, and I realized that if I hadn't made an agreement to meet her there, there was no way I would have gone and walked. She said that she thought about cancelling at least once too, but didn't. Yay for exercise buddies!

10. It is supposed to be in the twenties here by Thursday night. But there is a daffodil trying to bloom in my back yard. In fact, there are daffodils that are blooming very successfully in other places around town. There are things I love about living in the Heart of Dixie, and early spring is one of them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

#3 is probably good given #6.

Anonymous said...

Keep reflecting!