Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

1. I am currently in rehearsal for two different gigs, one churchy music and one not. Church organist is accompanist for both. He hates coming to a final decision about any arrangement. I like decisions. All things considered, we do remarkably well.

2. My sweetie is happy this week because a certain computer company whose name rhymes with Snapple is giving him a brand new computer. Why? Because they've had his since January 12th and can't seem to find the part they need to fix it. So now they're ordering a new one and they're going to transfer all his stuff onto it. Nice, eh? Make sure you pay the extra for SnappleCare. It pays off.

3. I had a three hour visit today with church "members" who haven't been active since the mid-90's. I think they might be in church again very soon. Cool.

4. I have been walking 40 minutes twice a week for a few weeks now, with a local clergy colleague. Two lady preachers on the Baptists' track. Hee hee. It's a good thing.

5. Our cat still doesn't really have a name. But this week, he has a new one auditioning: Mister Shane. As in, "I Hear Mister Shane" that song I recently learned, as understood by my sweetie when he first heard it years ago.

6. Sweetie played it for me and I realized that he had saved me from major embarrassment. I had wondered why said organist was pronouncing the German so oddly and wrongly. So I was saying it correctly (as per my understanding of correct German pronunciation, which isn't schooled, but experienced and not flawless, but not clueless either). As it turns out, it's supposed to rhyme. Who knew? Not me till I heard the Andrews Sisters singing it and realized I would sound totally ridiculous pronouncing it "correctly". Just goes to show there's more than one way to be right.

7. I know some of you are living in frigid temperatures much worse than ours, but it's cold here. I heard a new theory today that I like: Because it keeps going back and forth (sometimes in a single day) between frigid and warm, we don't have the chance to acclimate. That's why it seems so cold.

8. I really need to go to the eye doctor. I mostly notice this when I'm on this computer. I'm squinting and moving my glasses around all the time to get things focused. It's been two years. I'm probably due.

9. I watched "The Way We Were" last night for the first time ever. It holds up better than a lot of movies made around the same time. The relationship at the center is more complicated than you might guess. And the politics are very informative.

10. Someone ought to make a cartoon summation of Howard Zinn's "People's History of the United States." Last night's movie made me realize this. How else will we retain memory of the Old Left? Who makes movies with people protesting Franco anymore? Someone needs to keep that history alive!

1 comment:

April said...

And, if your cat runs away, you can call out the door... "Shay-uhn! Come back, Shay-uhn!" like the end of the movie by the same name. That would give it high marks, in my mind.

BTW, my word verification is Ruffyise. That would be a good name, too.