The New York Times has a short article today about "Africanized" bees being found in Utah. (I'm not really sure what to say about their decision to call them that. They are a cross between bees from Africa and European honey bees. But still, it seems like a loaded name, doesn't it?)
These are the bees more commonly known as "Killer Bees". And there was a period in my life when I was terrified of them.
I can still remember exactly where in the Middle School library I was sitting for the weird non-class we had with Mr. Studebaker (Study Skills? Is that was it was called?) in which we learned about Killer Bees. What I don't remember is what it was about the lesson that mis-informed to the point that I got the impression that Killer Bees might be just around any corner.
Now, in general, I like bees and I did even then. But however this lesson was presented, it was clear that you should be very, very frightened of these bees. Because they were mad, and they would get you.
Eventually, I did figure out that they weren't even in the States yet. (They got started in Brazil according to today's article.) What's weird is that this article is really just about them crossing the state line in Utah ("We've been saying not if but when for a long time," one guy says.) from Nevada, where they evidently arrived in 1999. Why was I not warned then?
People shouldn't mess with nature. That was probably supposed to be the point of the lesson that terrified me. It's probably safe to assume I will never run into Killer Bees in my whole life. And I still mostly like bees. But the idea of dying from being swarmed by them is still pretty scary. Good thing I'm not Mormon and I don't like to gamble.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember lots of non-classes in those strange middle school classrooms off the library, even though I think we got a pretty decent education at good ol' district 140.
What was the point of programming the Apple II computers to make shapes, for instance?
Post a Comment