I struggle with patriotism. There are a lot of things I love about country. There are a lot of things I am ashamed of about my country. And I don't really love much of anything blindly, which makes superficial patriotism unlikely. I guess you could say I have a critical nature. (In the sense of critique, not picking on people.) I like to think I have a deep patriotism instead, more like the kind of friendship that could include an intervention if necessary.
But it is the season to appreciate one's country, so I offer you this timely piece by Maira Kalman, from the New York Times. I love her work, the colors, the tone, all of it. This one is about a trip to Monticello. Thomas Jefferson is one of my favorite founding fathers. The Jefferson Memorial in DC is my favorite monument. I've never been to Monticello, but this makes me want to go.
Also, some song lyrics... (I should really find out who wrote this song!)
"I am a patriot. And I love my country. Because my country is all that I know. I want to be with my family. People who understand me. And I find them almost everywhere I go."
(Bonus to those in the know: White Rabbit!)
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Patriotism is a sticky topic in the US these days (perhaps less acrimonious than a year ago, but compicated, nonetheless). For a while, patriotism was defined as agreeing with everything the Bush administration did regarding foreign policy or else shutting up. But that made it hard for those of us who felt like patriotism, like pastoral ministry, was calling our country (or our church) to our best selves. I really like your analogy of patriotism as the deep friendship where such honesty as to include intervention could occur. Very apt.
~~~
I lived in Charlottesville, VA last year and worked at UVa (or as they call it, Mr. Jefferson's University). Kalman's work takes me back. If you decide to take a trip there (which I highly recommend), let me know...
Post a Comment