1. I was reminded this weekend that I REALLY, REALLY love fireworks. We saw them in Nashville, and even though we got drenched, twice, it was totally worth it. I don't so much love crowds, so I don't usually go to fireworks, but I should really try harder. Actually I think it's more the hassle of getting in and out of the crowd that I don't like, not the being in it. But I love fireworks.
2. I also love singing really loud within crowds of people, whether in church or not. I like it when the rest of the music is loud enough that you have to try harder to hear yourself.
3. I walked today for the first time since last Wednesday. Wasn't so lovely. I couldn't make myself go this morning, so it was an afternoon walk, with some prayer. But I only did 2 miles, not three.
4. I am going to go again in the morning. And I'm going to do 3.
5. I finished a novel last night ("The Girl with No Shadow" by Joanne Harris, the sequel to "Chocolat"), and it made me realize I need to get back to the library. It was pretty good, but a little disturbing. First of all, the book version of "Chocolat" is very different from the movie. (I read it first.) And then the sequel goes in a totally different direction. It was pretty weird.
6. I think when I go to the library, I will look for something by Michael Chabon, of whom I was reminded when in a book store on the way home from vacation yesterday. I've read his "Yiddish Policeman's Union" and liked it very much. He appears to have a bunch of other books. But I'm open to other suggestions. Does anyone know if Tom Robbins has written anything new lately?
7. Retreat season is arriving. I have to create a half-day Family Retreat for July 18th. Then it will be time to start planning the congregational retreat for early September. Then, bizarrely, I am key-noting the region's senior adult retreat (you know, because I know so much about being a senior citizen!) in November. I love planning retreats. But it feels kind of like giving birth; there is a lot of forced creative energy involved.
8. Speaking of giving birth, my newphew was born on Sunday! That's a new word I made up for a nephew who's new. Clever, eh? He is, no joking, an actual cute baby, and that's coming from someone who thinks most newborns look like ancient aliens. I hear he's good and doesn't cry too much either. I will get to visit and confirm these lovely rumors in early August.
9. I would like to give a shout-out to teachers. I always feel like yelling something about teachers at Fourth of July celebrations when everyone's insisting we thank the military for our freedom. We owe teachers at least as much of that same gratitude, as far as I can tell.
10. I am so glad I got tricked into discovering that I like blue cheese by eating gorgonzola without knowing what it was. (This was not a recent event; I'm just still glad.)
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
in regards to #7, I've never planned a retreat, but I'm quite sure I would choose planning a retreat over giving birth again! I'm really looking forward to "retreat" season! Let me know if I can help!
Yeah, there's a reason I only birth retreats and not children!
Of course, the children last longer! So that's probably worth it.
Post a Comment