Sophia from over at RevGalBlogPals posted this Friday Five.
I just got back from an 8 mile bike ride down the beach boardwalk near our home, and was struck with the number of people out enjoying physical activity. Runners, other cyclists, surfers, swimmers, dogwalkers, little kids on scooters....
It's easy to lose track of my physical self-care in the midst of flurried preparation for a final on-campus interview Monday for a college teaching position in the Midwest (prayers welcome!) and the family move that would accompany it. But each day that I do make time to walk or ride my bike it is such a stress reliever that it is well worth the time invested!
So how about you and your beautiful temple of the Holy Spirit?
1. What was your favorite sport or outdoor activity as a child?
Climbing trees.
2. P.E. class--heaven or the other place?
Definitely not heaven. It really depended on what we were doing. I was pretty coordinated, but had (have!) crappy aim and I've never been very strong.
3. What is your favorite form of exercise now?
Special occasions: Salsa dancing by a million. Regular basis: I'm not sure I'd say it's my favorite, but since walking is the only exercise I do, I guess it must be. I would love to play badminton regularly, but I don't. Heck, I'd love to salsa dance (or cha cha or meregue) regularly too, but I don't do that either.
4. Do you like to work out solo or with a partner?
I would never have gotten as faithful to walking as I have without my walking buddy. But she's been out of town for 2 weeks now and I'm still going, almost every day, on my own. I like both. And clearly, those other exercises I couldn't do on my own!
5. Inside or outside?
Um, depends on what I'm doing and how hot it is. I would prefer to be outside on a pretty, mild, sunny, perfect day, but how many of those do we have in the Heart of Dixie?
Bonus: Post a poem, scripture passage, quotation, song, etc. regarding the body or exercise.
I've always loved the part in Ephesians 4 where Paul talks about the body "joined and knit together by every ligament with which it is equipped." Maybe it's just the awkwardness of the translation, but it always makes me laugh. But since it's been a while, I shall also write a limerick...
There once was a girl who went walking,
For this she could do while still talking.
You can't go much faster
when strolling as pastor,
lest parishioners think we are stalking!
Friday, July 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment