Monday, October 26, 2009

Sometimes Nice Isn't the Only Thing You Need

So recently, I've been having to deal with this extraordinarily rude woman. For reasons unknown to me, she has evidently decided that I did something (or didn't do something) unforgivable to her. She's not a church member; she's a church member's family member.

Because of various other anxiety-producing circumstances, I know that I am not operating at 100% lately. So I've noticed that I've told more people about this women's rudeness than I might ordinarily tell, presumably because it feels good to have people affirm that she is being really rude. Mostly, the people I've told have cooperated with my neediness.

But then there's this other woman. She is one of the ones helping out with the sick church member. Actually, she's been the main liaison, since the rude family member won't communicate with me. And at some point in this saga, I noticed that she wasn't really as sympathetic to my plight as others. I believe her words were something like, "I suppose this is one of those things that pastors have to deal with," stated just as matter-of-factly as you please.

It was kind of a good reminder, if a bit abrupt. I had been pretty proud of myself for how I was handing this not-nice woman, and I'd very much been enjoying the accolades from the people I'd told about her who said they would have been much less polite. But here was this woman, reminding me that loving her with the love of Jesus, despite her behavior, is my job. So I should just do my job.

And she's right. At first, I was a little hurt that she wasn't more sympathetic. But you know, I got plenty of sympathy. Being told to buck up and deal was also pretty helpful, once I got over my surprise.

No comments: