I encourage you to read this blog written by our Global Ministries missionaries in Haiti, Kim and Patrick Bentrott. Kim has written an account of their last 72 hours that brought the devastation to a comprehensible level for me.
What struck me as I started reading is how in the first moments of the earthquake, they thought it was something happening just to their house. I think this is very common. My first thoughts during the only California earthquake I experienced was that a large box had fallen off my suitemate's wardrobe in the next room.
I wonder if this is a modern impulse. Kim reports on people crying in the streets that the world was ending. That is, of course, an equally inaccurate assumption, but in the opposite direction. I wonder if it is the result of a more communal culture though, to assume what happens to you is happening to everyone, as opposed to thinking you're the only one.
We continue to pray. It's going to get worse before it gets better, as supplies already there run out before others can arrive and the lack of sanitation builds up to dangerous levels.
Friday, January 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment