Monday, December 1, 2008

White Rabbit!

So today is also the first of the month. So "White Rabbit!" to anyone who knows what that means. I'm not sure I do, but when I was growing up, really when my sister and I were in high school, it became a thing you say to people on the first day of the month. And whoever says it first "wins," which I think meant that the other person owed you a favor. I don't remember any favors ever being performed though. It was mostly just about winning.

A few weeks ago, I caught the end of a radio program ("This American Life"? "Talk of the Nation"? Don't remember what it was.), and a woman was talking about how, on the first day of the month, she said "Rabbit, rabbit" for luck. I suppose that is somehow related. I think she said she thought it came from Ava Gardner or Bette Davis or someone.

So can anybody explain this one? It's very peculiar. And isn't it strange how much we enjoy "winning" even if it's just remembering to say something first?

2 comments:

April said...

Becky, my sisters and I have had many cunning phone calls over the last few years to White Rabbit each other. For some reason, we have gotten out of the habit the last few months. But I thought about it yesterday.

If you google White Rabbit, you'll find lots of info. I blogged about it once and a kid from EHS showed up after finding my blog linked to a google search on it. They had done the same thing in high school, but had no understanding of why.

Remember when it was "blanc lapin"?

Lucky Fresh said...

I don't actually remember it ever being "blanc lapin". Where did that come from, just us thinking French was cooler than English?

Caller ID has done weird things to the tradition, wouldn't you say? At least for those of us at a distance from our fellow players.