Thursday, December 18, 2008

Just in time for your long holiday car trips...

THE PREPOSITION GAME!

I know, I know, some of you have been waiting with bated breath since the oblique mention of the Preposition Game a few posts back. "Whatever can that be?" you wonder. "It sounds so fun!"

Well, because it can be played in a car, and because you may be preparing for a long car trip, I have decided the time has come to explain the Preposition Game.

Here is what you do: Someone picks out a verb -- any verb, though some work better than others -- and then you take turns thinking of prepositions that go with that verb to create an idiomatic phrase. Or, if you're not choosy, just prepositions that go with the verb and still make sense. Once you run out of options, whoever thought of the last one gets to pick the next verb.

As an example, a good verb to start with is "turn." From there you can create: turn on, turn off, turn in, turnover, turn up, turn down, etc., etc.

That's it. That's all there is to it. Enjoy!


Fine print (the part read really fast at the end of the drug commercial):
This game should not be played by people who like games but do not appreciate the English language, as the main point of the Preposition Game is to revel in how amazing prepositions are.
It should not be played by people who prefer games with clear rules, because deciding what qualifies as "idiomatic" can quickly devolve into anarchy.
The Preposition Game is most likely lost on small children, unless they are truly precocious. (But do you really want to test that just yet?)
Despite all this, it's really more addictive than you might imagine at first. Really.

4 comments:

LiturgyGeek said...

oh my god we may have to play this at our New Year's Adam party! Awe-some! (this year, the New Year's Adam party will take place the day after Christmas, which I guess would sort of make it a Christmas Cain party. But we're not picky.

Heh heh, idioms.

Lucky Fresh said...

I'm not sure I understand anything you said there, except that you might play the PG at a party, which I think is awesome.

LiturgyGeek said...

New Year's Adam = December 30. 'Cause you know, New Year's EVE is December 31. Adam, Eve ...

Christmas Cain = December 26. Because there's Christmas EVE, then Christmas DAY, then the day after that would be ... um, whoever the next person "created" was? Thus, Cain. Lame, I know.

I don't think the Cain thing is going to catch on. But the "Adam" thing - now THAT is money!

Backbencher said...

Now look what you have done. I can now look forward to a lifetime of car trips with my wife and kids playing the preposition game. Thanks.