I know it's been pretty quiet around here lately. Sorry. The brain has been a bit full, and the days have been too.
I've been reading two very different, but equally fascinating pieces related to Islam this morning.
This one from Mother Jones explores the practice of temporary marriage as it happens in Iran. Is it basically religious cover for prostitution? I'm thinking yes. It's just so weird how things can get twisted when you don't start from a place of gender equality.
This one from the NYT is as much about Christians as it is about Islam. Which is to say, it's about wily Christians using the Koran and other Muslim concepts to attempt converting Muslims to Christianity. Very creepy. The author states that the "critics" of this practice are offended because they don't think the Christian God is the same god as the Muslim one. Well, here you go: I'm criticizing this practice because it's obnoxious. Happy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
In the novel The Blood of Flowers, which is set in medieval Persia, there is such a practice. I assumed it was fictional, but perhaps this form of 'marriage' has historic standing in Iran. Not that that makes it legitimate, but it may indicate an additional level of difficulty in any attempt to change.
Post a Comment