There are people who think that talking to yourself is a sign of craziness.
There are other people who say it's okay, as long as you don't answer yourself.
None of these people make any sense to me. It seems awfully rude and unproductive to refuse to respond when someone says something to you, doesn't it?
I have realized lately that one reason I am more productive when I'm alone is that I process out loud. Which means I talk to myself, and yes, that I also talk back.
Because of the strictures of a society that doesn't understand or accept people like me, I am inhibited from doing this when other people are in the office. Which means I have more difficulty moving through whatever task is at hand. Stupid society.
I'm pretty sure that if neurologists did a study, they would discover that this is not an uncommon way of thinking through things. I remember things, for example, phone numbers, etc., better if I hear them. So why wouldn't it also follow that I stay more focused on a process if I'm hearing it? I don't think it's the saying it that makes the difference; it's the hearing it. But I can't hear it if I don't say it.
(And I'm not crazy, just crazy productive. So there.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I totally agree with you. Is this heredity or environment?
Post a Comment