I believe that I have stated, emphatically if potentially misleadingly, that I am anti-grass. I should clarify: grass itself is not what I oppose.
What makes no sense to me is the way our culture has developed the ideal lawn, that is, an expanse of ground covered with a plant that requires (by socially accepted standards) constant maintenance. Why would you cover your yard with something that requires continual attention? Why not a plant that doesn't need mowing? Or why not decide that long grass is prettier?
It is my belief that a huge portion of the cultural history of ornamental gardening is related to humanity's deep desire to control nature. Mowing the lawn is but one way we exert that control. I find it ludicrous.
Grass, on the other hand, is a lovely thing. Olivia Judson offers this short piece about the evolution of grass and its impact on our world. She is nominating grass as the Lifeform of the Month for March. I will second that, but only if it means we stop mowing for a month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment